Wednesday, September 02, 2009

How we framed our mirror


Because we searched and searched and found very little information on how to frame a mirror, I thought I'd share our experience.

We knew we wanted to stain our mirror frame, which meant we needed to buy wood trim. Now, if we didn't mind painting the frame, we could have used fiberboard or PVC molding. Either of those choices would have saved us a lot of heartache because they don't warp.

We bought our trim, measured and made the necesarry cuts. We then stained both sides and all edges of the boards with several coats. Once completely dry I put about 3 coats of polyurethane on to seal it and give it some shine.

And it looked beautiful! And then we realized there was some warping on the 2 longer boards. And then the panic set in because we had no idea what to do at this point.

After many failed attempts, we finally came up with a solution (with the help from a mirror company). We actually assembled the frame, putting a couple staples in the back on each corner and then adheared it to the mirror with Scotch's Super Heavy Duty indoor/outdoor double sided tape. Reagular heavy duty double sided tape WILL NOT work (we tried it). This stuff is the bomb though. We taped every inch of the perimeter of the frame. I feel confident that if a bomb went off, our frame will still be standing. This stuff holds 5 lbs per inch and is weather resistant. The last thing I did was seal the edges with some silicone. And, whalla!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: