Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Labor of Love

I have this table that needs a little TLC. A lot of TLC, actually!

My mother so generously put 2 coats of "marble" faux painting on said table many many years ago. I actually remember helping her on the second go round of this lovely marbling when I was a kid. My guess is that the second coat was put on at least 15 years ago, if not more. Regardless, the paint is OLD. Add the original stain, and there are at least 5 coats on this thing. But it is a SOLID piece of furniture that was originally my grandparent's. Peter has tried to give it to Goodwill for years now, but I have fought on its behalf.

A couple weeks ago I pulled it out of the dark, dreary corner of our storage room in the basement. I have applied super strength paint stripper. And sanded. And sanded. And sanded some more.


The table is BEAUTIFUL! The wood is exquisite! But there are these curves and crevices that I just can't get to. I am feverishly working to get this sucker in order to re-stain, but it's been some work. A lot of work actually. I am desperately trying to save this little gem. When I get done, expect to find it in the middle of our den with a spotlight on it . . . it will totally deserve it after all of the work I've put in!


No comments: