I think as a parent, we are always striving to be better and do a better job.
Recently, one of the blogs I follow, has been doing a series of "Be a better Parent." It certainly has had me thinking. A lot.
First let me say that I am a firm believer in that everybody has their own parenting style and not any one style works for all kids. But nothing drives me crazier than the undisciplined child. You know the type . . . the one that runs their own agenda and what they say goes. They run the house instead of their parents. What ever happened to respect?
I, on the other hand, am a discipliner. And I have a (bad) habit of disciplining in the moment. Right there, in the moment. It doesn't matter where we are or who is watching. And if I am stressed out or pushed to my limits, I have a tendency to lose it. It's not the way I want to be. It just happens.
When I am in my element and things are going as planned, it is far less frequent. But lets face it, life doesn't work that way. We are often thrown curve balls. Plans get off course. Life gets stressful.
So, my big challenge to myself as a parent, is to not let my disciplining be effected by my emotions. To be firm, but to do it more quietly and privately.
There's a great family psychologist and author, John Rosemond. He has written many books and writes a weekly column for the AJC. I had the pleasure of going to see him speak about a year ago. He talks about families needing to be more parent-centered where children are raised into responsible adults. That's what I want for my family.
I am resolving to sit down and actually read the book that I bought nearly a year ago: The New Six-Point Plan for Raising Happy, Healthy Children. I mean, who doesn't want happy and healthy children? And it's up to us, as their parents, to make that happen, right?
Once I hit "publish" this is out there.
On the internet.
For everybody to see!
Accountability, folks.
Any tips on actually implementing the newer and calmer me?
happy birthday, brooks!
8 years ago
3 comments:
I get John Rosemound's email newsletter every week! Definitely old school but I buy into a lot of what he says.
I'm actually jealous of your ability to discipline...it's something I have to figure out and couldn't even tell you what my "style" is because I don't know yet. Which is a problem.
Love that you're writing about this!!
I am doing a book/bible study with some friends right now with the book "The Heart of Anger" by John Priolo and it has been a tremendous help in how I parent. Don't let the title scare you...while it is about anger, it really is more about parenting and discipline. But, beware...it is extremely convicting and will really make you take a look at yourself. Which is good...I have found through doing this study that a lot of the 'problems' I have with my kids have been resovled simply by changing MY behavior and the way I relate to them. Anyway...I think it is really useful and helpful. Also, the book, Shepherding a Chlid's Heart is a good one. I good go on and on, so if you want more info, just send me an e-mail. Good luck!
Thanks for this post. I think as parents we need to constantly ask ourselves what we can do better. But, at the same time its important not to be too hard on ourselves! I've found that as a mother I have the ability to set the tone for the household...when I'm having a bad day, everyone else is, too! So, I strive to be joyful and genuine.
Post a Comment