Thursday, January 28, 2010

Martha Stewart Watch Out . . .

'Cause this chickie is getting crafty!

I found this blog that I absolutely love - Thrifty Decor Chick, and she has totally inspired me! I am decor challenged to say the least. We have very few window treatments, no real knick knacks (unless you count the toys that we have picked up from the ground and placed on top of the fireplace) . . . overall, we tend to be a little on the blah side.

When we bought our dining room furniture about 4 years ago, we absolutely loved it, but didn't really care for the fabric on the chairs. We vowed to change it. And here we are 4 years later, and I finally got the incentive I needed to change it . . . a great sale on decorator's fabric! So I went and grabbed tons on samples, hung them all over our walls, and finally settled on "the one". I had been quoted $300 to recover our chairs, but I took one apart and figured I could do it on my own. Here's the result:

Not too shabby! I did all 6 of our chairs in a day. The worst part of it all? The blisters! I could hardly squeeze the staple gun by the time I got to the 6th chair.

When I recovered the chairs, our current window treatments, which came with the house when we bought it and I never liked, didn't work anymore. And so began my mission for new window treatments. Who new a bay window would provide such issues? Outside of old school valances, it seems our choices are limited aside from spending a small fortune on custom ones. Luckily for us, we had a friend do some custom blinds for us a few years ago and they came with some really nice cornice boxes. So for now, I'm leaving them as is. But, in my quest for window treatment ideas, I came across the Thrify Decor Chick blog, and as I mentioned earlier, I am now inspired.

When we redid our bathroom this summer, we never addressed the windows. And they've remained bare ever since. I found some fabric that we loved when I found our dining room fabric. The Thrifty Decor Chick blog had a no sew roman shade explanation, and I thought it would be perfect for me! You know, since I can't even sew a stinkin' button on, my only option these days are "no sew". Check out the results:

I'm pretty impressed if I do say so myself! There's not a single stitch in these. No lie! It actually called for me to sew on some buttons for support, but, as I mentioned earlier, I can't even sew on a button, so I was left to my own devices! And, let me just say this . . . if I would have actually been able to sew on the buttons, I would have been SOL. Getting the folds just right took a lot of adjusting. I couldn't be more pleased with the results!

Next up . . . the big window in our bathroom. This one will be tougher. I'm hoping to get it done tomorrow, but since Mason won't be in school, it may not happen until the weekend. We'll see . . .

1 comment:

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Beautiful!! Awesome job, I'm so glad you showed me this!!