Friday, November 14, 2008

Dear Mason

Dear Mason,

Today you turn 1 year old. Holy smokes, we made it 1 whole year without any major incidences (knocking on wood as I type).

It's hard to believe how fast this year has passed. I guess the saying, "time flies when you're having fun" holds true in our case. You've grown like a weed . . . going from little baby to little toddler. Today we'll be moving your carseat so you can face forward. You really hate facing the back of the seat, so I think this will be a change you'll enjoy.

In preparation for your 1st birthday party, Daddy let me bring in our old cleaning lady to spiff up our house. She hasn't been here since shortly after you were born, and it is clear that maybe we should bring her in at least twice a year. Poor thing was here for 9 hours. Not even kidding. The woman was scrubbing our bathroom floors on her hands and knees. I'm pretty sure that she had to spend quite a while scrubbing the floor underneath your chair in the kitchen because no matter how much I clean it, it is always disgusting! Maybe sharing your food with Harley during dinner time isn't such a good idea. At least until we teach him to clean up after himself! Also, picking up handfuls of food and throwing them on the ground to indicate you're done with dinner isn't helping the situation.

While Connie was cleaning the house, we took a special trip to McDonald's (frankly, I just didn't want you to mess up my newly cleaned floors). It should be no surprise that you stole the hearts of the workers and patrons alike. They gave you a special birthday ice cream, which clearly was your favorite part of the meal. You made many friends out of the other diners, and as we left you had the whole restaurant waving goodbye. It was really very sweet.

Your favorite thing to do is play with your sister. You guys chase each other around the house, often times pummeling one another and then giggling about it. We often have dance parties, which you two love. We turn the music up real loud and dance around the den. Sometimes Daddy even joins us! It is clear the adoration between you and Maddie. I know this won't last forever, but I am enjoying it while I can.

Right now the only words you say are "Go Dawgs". We may be the only ones that understand what you are saying, but we are so proud of you. I would, however, enjoy hearing "Mama" every once in a while. Every time I ask you to say Mama, you just cover your ears. I'm starting to wonder if this is an indication of what I have to look forward to.

Unfortunately your favorite toys right now are princess crowns and princess wands. I understand that most of our toys around the house are princess related, and that is why I'm not too worried about it. I am, however, hoping for cars and trucks and other "boy" toys for your birthday. I think you'd really enjoy them.

There have been a lot of changes nationally and globally this year as well. We have just elected our first black President in to office, and I hope one day you will understand the significance of this. We are in very scary times economically. Nobody is untouched. I often wish you could have experienced some of the "good times", but I think it is just as important for all of us to realize that nothing in life is ever certain.

I guess I could go on and on about how awesome you are and how crappy the world is right now, but I'm not. I'm going to leave you with this, we love you very very much.

Happy 1st Birthday, sweet boy!

Much love,
Mommy and Daddy

My how you've changed in just a year . . .


From this sweet and innocent little baby, to this wild and crazy little boy!

1 comment:

Emily S. said...

AWESOME last pic! Happy birthday, little man... :) Such a sweet letter...