Friday, September 05, 2008

Amazing!

So, I mentioned several weeks ago how I had inherited some beautiful antique furniture from my Grandfather. While we received it earlier than I had anticipated, I gladly excepted the furniture (plus some) into our drab home. Originally I had a few concerns about the kids and their ability to destroy ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. How was I going to handle this? Well, I strategically placed some furniture . . . out of their site, out of their minds, right?

Right.

And so far so good. That plan has actually worked.

But, we have a few pieces, two chairs and an antique tea cart, that is set up in the playroom/sitting room. Maddie was given stricked instructions on what she could and could not do with this furniture. Read a book in the chair? Yes. Color on the table? No. So far so good.

Apparently it wasn't the kids I should be worried with. It's myself.

I decorated the top of the tea cart with some beautiful old books. I mean OLD books (just kidding, Dad). The books were held in place by two plants. In the fog state that I often live in, I decided I was going to water the plants. While they were still on the tea cart. I came back several hours to find sitting water.

Sitting water on my grandmother's mother's tea cart. OH MY GOODNESS, I HAVE JUST RUINED A PRECIOUS PIECE OF FURNITURE NEAR AND DEAR TO MY GRANDFATHER'S HEART!

I cleaned up the water and I had indeed ruined it. Or so I thought.

While I went to go pick up Maddie from school, I put my handy husband in charge of figuring out how in the world we were going to fix this mess of mine.

I came home to a beautiful tea cart in it's original form.

The trick?

Hellman's Mayonaise.

Kid you not.

Amazing!

Oh, and you'll notice that the books are no longer held in place by the plants . . .

1 comment:

Emily S. said...

my dad has those books, too... and he found a spare set while antiques shopping one day, and gave two of them to each of his kids. So I have two of those very books in MY house!

that was a long sentence to report a coincidence. :)