Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Movers and Shakers up in here

We've been talking about switching Mason's bedroom and Peter's office for a while now. The hold up? Painting 2 rooms and decluttering Peter's office. For the last 5 1/2 years, Peter's office has become the drop zone for all things that don't have a home. It has, over time, become a nasty mess. The thought of actually having to go through it all was a bit overwhelming. Add to it that we have to paint too, and it was enough for me to continually put off this HUGE project. But BEHOLD, I found somebody to paint the two rooms, including the trim, for super cheap. I mean, it would cost me more in supplies to do it myself (and quite possibly my marriage). So, all we have to do is work on cleaning out and cleaning up. Peter spent most of a day cleaning out a quarter of his office and dumping 2 60 gallon trash bags of junk. We took off the "wall hangings" (read: moose head (thank you Bill and Carol), the obnoxious fish, and various other crap to find massive amounts of damage to the walls. I spent today puttying the drywall and applying googone to all of the double sided tape. It was a mess! I also officially burned out our paper shredder because I was shredding paychecks dating back to 2001. 2001 people! Why do we hold on to such things?

We determined that Peter's desk just isn't going to make the move. It's in bad shape. We've also determined to take the doors off of Mason's soon to be new closet because the tracks are broken, and Mason re-broke them in the first 30 seconds of entering the room. So, I decided this evening I'm going to take the doors from Mason's closet and turn them into a desk for Peter. Not even kidding. I may be taking this crafty stuff a little far, but I figure it's worth a shot. Have you checked out the cost of office furniture lately?? We'll see how it goes. I've got high hopes for this little project of mine and really hope it turns out as great as I am envisioning it! I'm assuming this will take me several weeks to complete because a) apparently I have to let the paint cure for what seems like forever, and b) I have to figure out where in the world to find custom cut glass to put on top of this sucker!

The painter comes on Monday, so this weekend will be a busy one. In the meantime, I'm headed to Pottery Barn outlet (for the 2nd time in 3 days because they were closed for inventory on Monday!) in hopes of finding bedding for new Mason's new room. I'd like to actually be able to match his walls to something! We are also hoping to transition Mason into a real bed with this move. We totally scored when a neighbor offered to give us rails and a boxspring. All we have to do it get a mattress!

On a side note, while I was writing this post, Maddie walks out . . .
Me: Hey Mad, what are you doing?
Her: I can't fall asleep!
Me: Maddie, you've been asleep for 3 hours.
Her: Oh
And she turns around and walks back into her room.
That kid cracks me up.
That's right, I totally conned the kids into going to bed at 7pm tonight. They didn't even have a clue!
Hey, Peter's out of town. Don't judge! :)

No comments: